Late-night raid turns up pipe bomb, assault weapon, drugs, KKK flag

The Town Talk, Louisiana/May 9, 2009

A man faces several charges after narcotics agents found an active pipe bomb, drugs and an arsenal of weapons, including an assault rifle, in his home in the Ball area, authorities said.

A Ku Klux Klan flag was also found there and was seized by police.

Jeff Duncan, 51, of 25 M.C. Richey Road was arrested by the Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office and charged with manufacture of a pipe bomb, possession of methamphetamine with intent to distribute, possession of Ecstasy with intent to distribute, possession of marijuana, possession of a firearm with narcotics and possession of drug paraphernalia, authorities reported.

Rapides Parish Sheriff's Maj. Jasper Bay said the Metro Narcotics Division had been investigating Duncan after receiving complaints from area residents about possible drug activity.

When agents executed a search warrant on the home late Thursday night, they first saw Duncan at the bar in the kitchen where a box of drugs was found, police said. Inside the box were meth, Ecstasy and marijuana, authorities said, and beside the box was a loaded .38-caliber handgun.

While searching the rest of the home, officers found an active pipe bomb and the materials used to make the bomb, including several bottles of gunpowder, Bay said.

State Police's Hazardous Material Team was alerted, and its officers were able to diffuse the bomb.

Agents found several guns, including a "very powerful" semi-automatic Japanese assault rifle, a rifle that was nearly modified to be a sniper rifle with a bi-pod, shotguns and handguns, as well as a bow, police said. Several boxes of ammunition were found throughout the house as well. All of the weapons were loaded, Bay said.

A flag displaying the name Ku Klux Klan was also found at the home and seized by deputies, although Duncan isn't facing any charges in connection with the flag at this time. Bay said the flag was seized because Duncan could face federal charges in connection with it.

The case remains under investigation.

When agents entered Duncan's home, he followed their commands and was arrested without incident. At no time during the operation was Duncan armed, Bay said.

"This was a very dangerous situation," he said.

To see more documents/articles regarding this group/organization/subject click here.